Thursday, 18 February 2010

Home made Mayonnaise - happy days!

It's good to share success with your friends I think.  I like being happy for you when things go right and a good friend will stick around and share the suffering moments too. So, let me share some good news with you...
I have learnt how to make mayonnaise. All by myself, without additives, without stabilizers, the real stuff. Simple I know, but oh how it tastes so good!



I tried making mayonnaise several times in the past and each time I have been bitterly disappointed. (I didn't share that with you but I hope that's ok). It wasn't that I added the oil too fast or the eggs were not fresh. It was simply the fact I couldn't find the right oil. 
So - happy days when I discovered this series making mayonnaise at 'How to cook' by Gordon Ramsay. I watched the video, took notes and went straight to the supermarket to buy the secret ingredient....groundnut oil. (huile d'arachide). Finally.

I realised after I made my mayonnaise that although it tastes exceedingly good, we are not eating much salad at the moment because it's winter! The day I made it I cooked french fries to go with the mayo. Who ever heard of basing your diner menu around the mayonnaise?! Now I have a lovely jar of mayonnaise in the fridge. I like to look at it when I open the fridge. Life is full of simple pleasures.


Try making your own mayonnaise. You can certainly be sure of the fact that there are no preservatives nor additives and that makes it much more attractive to eat in my opinion!  


Classic home made Mayonnaise
(you need to make this with electric beaters or food processor)
3 egg yolks
2 tsp dijon mustard
300 ml groundnut oil (huile d'arachide)
salt
lemon juice


Beat the egg yolks and mustard together until thick and creamy.
With the motor running add the oil very slowly. If you add the oil quickly your emulsion will split which is not the goal. The mayonnaise will become thick and creamy. Continue adding the oil until the end. 
Season to taste with salt and a good squeeze of lemon juice


hint : watch the video. You can't go wrong!








  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI my lovely daughter, It is so heart warming to see you develop your culinary skills and be prepared to share your ideas and encourage us cooks to find pleasure in serving delicious food..the basis for hospitality,forging friendships,sharing love and walking alongside each other in this journey of life.Love you. Mum