Monday, 15 February 2010

Heart Biscuits



I know that Valentine's Day was on Sunday and that it's a bit late to make heart shaped biscuits for the precious people in your life. But - life doesn't always happen in order.
Sometimes I wake up before my alarm.
Sometimes my tea goes cold before I drink it.
Sometimes your birthday present from me might arrive late.
I watched Ice Age 3 before I watched Ice Age 2.


So, you can make heart shaped biscuits for someone after Valentine's Day. Heck, you can even make heart-shaped biscuits just for yourself if you want. Everyone needs a little love.

You can in fact make the biscuits any shape that you like.  It's a fabulous recipe for kids, based on the classic ratios for shortbread. They love making shapes in the dough. So take out your biscuit cutters and imagination and have a fun lovin' time.


Shortbread Biscuits
110g butter
175g flour
50g sugar
Heat oven to 150°C.
Cream the butter and sugar.
Add the flour and knead together until it forms a smooth ball.
Sprinkle your work surface with some flour to prevent the dough sticking. Roll out the dough to approx. 5mm thickness. 
Stamp your shapes and transfer to a lined baking tray.  You can gather the dough scraps and re-roll them to make more biscuits. Continue re-rolling and cutting until all your dough is used up. 
Bake at 150°C until lightly golden browned, approx. 5-6mins but it depends on your oven and the thickness of your biscuits. The thicker the biscuit, the longer the cooking time. Your best guide is the colour of the biscuits. 

2 comments:

Andromedary said...

i love them, almost like i love you...x

H&H Foods said...

wow pretty heart shape cookies, I think it's the best valentine's gift for loved ones.
Coffee Walnut Cookies