Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Inbetween seasons with a green bean salad

The great debate is on. Is it time to change one's wardrobe from winter to summer? Is it too early?  Will I leave the house one crisp morning next week and wish my jumper was not vacuumed-packed in the basement? Typical parisian apartments are rather small and one is required to rotate winter and summer wardrobes as there is not usually enough room for a bigger closet. 
In the kitchen my recipes and menus are mimicking the change to warmer days. It's time to put away thoughts of tartiflettes, casseroles and heart warming soups and look towards summer produce and flavours. I'm eagerly awaiting the nectarines, peaches and fresh French cherries, iced tea on the terrace, a cold beer after a day in the sun.



I find myself going through a bean phase. I'm not a fan of beans but the healthy voice in me is telling me to make some effort. I've found two delicious recipes that you must try too. One recipe is lacking a photo. When I make it again I'll post it for you - promise. 
The recipe below comes from The Hungry Girls, a fun team of, you guessed it, girls who love good food. They have a delightful handmade recipe book (on loan from a friend) and a cute website.  Their recipe for this bean salad didn't really need any modifications but I adapted it according to what was in my fridge. It was lovely warm for dinner and just as nice at room temperature the next day for our picnic lunch.  If you're not really a green bean kinda person try this - it change your mind!


Green Bean, bacon, breadcrumb and parmesan cheese salad
serves 4 as a side salad
olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
handful of sage leaves
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
300g green beans
1 cup breadcrumbs (I used a day old baguette cut into small cubes, then crushed with my hands)
a handful of cashew nuts
100g bacon diced (lardons)
2 handfuls of parmesan cheese 
salt & pepper
20g parsley finely chopped (optional)


Heat some olive oil in a large fry pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, sage and bacon bits. Fry until the onion is soft and browning at the edges. 
Add the garlic and beans and turn the heat to high.
Fry, stirring often, for 5 minutes, until the beans are almost cooked. 
Add the nuts, breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley. Fry over high heat, stirring constantly until the breadcrumbs are crisp. Some will clump together with the parmesan cheese but don't worry about that.
Be careful not to let the mixture burn on the bottom in your attempts to make the breadcrumbs crunchy.
Take off the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper. 
variations:
try pistachio nuts

No comments: