Friday, 11 December 2009

A Train Strike and Truffles




There is another strike on the trains! Hardly surprising during the months of November and December in France. The schools, the post office, the train drivers and even the Police have striked this year. It's the RER A again today, since yesterday, and it's all over a 4% pay rise (among other things).  I couldn't get to work this afternoon because every single train was cancelled. Sorry kids - no English History this afternoon.  


So while the Christmas music played I donned on my apron and set to work in the kitchen. I have three parties tomorrow. I know it's always busy close to Christmas but none of these parties are even remotely related to Christmas. A birthday party, a hen's party and an engagement party.  Lucky me!  While baby Jesus was being born in a manger and the angles were harking on the stereo I was baking Christmas flavoured cupcakes for my gorgeous friend about to get married and truffles to celebrate the engagement of other dear friends. The apartment smells so delicious I'd like to throw the windows open and share it with my neighbours.  It's a bit cold for that though!


Here are the truffles for you to share at your Christmas table this year. 





 You can change the flavour of them (here I used rum). Be careful to keep them small if you are not serving them with coffee as they are already decadently rich. 



Chocolate Orange Rum Truffles
50 g butter
100g dark chocolate
1 cup of icing sugar (sucre glace)
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 tablespoon rum
grated zest of half an orange
approx. 1 cup coconut


Put butter and chocolate into a suacepan. Heat gently, stirring until the butter and chocolate have melted.
Add ,5 cup of the icing sugar. Stir until the mixture thoroughly.
Stir in the rum, orange zest and cocoa. 
Add enough of the remaining icing sugar to make a stiff mixture.  
Measure teaspoonsful of the mixture and shape into balls. Roll in coconut. 
Put in the fridge until firm (a couple of hours)
Make about 15

1 comment:

StineandKathrine said...

Oh Leigh, you are so clever! I wish I could be there in your kitchen and smell the delicious truffles (not to mention taste).